Andalusia, Catalonia and Madrid regions with highest 2014 MSW collection volumes

According to a Spanish National Statistics Institute (INE) study entitled “Statistics on Waste Collection and Treatment” published yesterday, the autonomous communities with the highest 2014 MSW collection volumes were Andalusia (4.6 million tonnes), Catalonia (3.7 millions) and Madrid (2.5 millions). The report shows that 459.1 kg of waste was collected per person in 2014, down 4.5% on the previous year. 49.8 million tonnes of waste received final treatment, up 9.4% on 2013. Industry generated a total of 38.7 million tonnes of waste, of which 3.4% was hazardous waste.

Municipal waste collection

Municipal waste management companies collected 21.3 million tonnes of waste in 2014, 2.1% less than in the previous year. 17.5 million tonnes corresponded to conmingled waste and 3.8 million tonnes to selectively collected waste.

Results by Autonomous Communities

The autonomous communities with the highest 2014 MSW collection volumes were Andalusia (4.6 million tonnes), Catalonia (3.7 million tonnes) and Madrid (2.5 million tonnes). In terms of selective collection, Catalonia registered the largest collection of Paper & Board (271,400 tonnes), and glass (162,400 tonnes). In Spain, 459.1 kg of waste was collected per person in 2014, down 4.5% on the previous year.

Datos Avance de la Encuesta Industrial de Empresas

Waste treatment

Waste treatment companies managed a total of 49.8 million tonnes of municipal and non-municipal waste in 2014, up 9.4% on 2013. 96.4% of the waste treated was non-hazardous waste. 48 million tonnes of non-hazardous waste was treated, 9.9% more than in 2013. 1.8 million tonnes of hazardous waste was managed, down 2.7% on the previous year. Of all the waste collected, 54.3% was sent for recycling, 38.9% went to landfill and 6.8% was incinerated.

A total of 27 million tonnes of waste was recycled in 2014. The main categories were Metals (12.3 million tonnes), Paper & Board (4.1 million) and source-separated waste (3.3 million).

Waste generation in industry

Waste generation in industry is researched on a biennial basis, meaning that 2014 data is compared to data for 2012. In 2014, a total of 38.7 million tonnes of waste was produced in industry, 9.7% less than in 2012. 96.6% of this was non-hazardous, while the remaining 3.4% was hazardous.

The largest quantities of hazardous waste came from metalworking and the manufacture of metal products (0.7 million tonnes), the chemical industry and rubber and plastics manufacturing (0.3 million) and computer products, electronics, machinery and transport materials (0.1 million).