Gavà-Viladecans Metropolitan Waste Treatment Centre optimisation project

GAVÀ-VILADECANS METROPOLITAN WASTE TREATMENT CENTRE OPTIMISATION PROJECT

The Gavà-Viladecans Metropolitan Waste Treatment Centre, one of the plants managed by the Àrea Metropolitana de Barcelona (AMB), is to undergo an upgrading and optimisation project aimed at creating a more efficient, more sustainable and safer facility. €8 million will be invested to renovate this centre, which processes the packaging and bulky waste from a considerable part of the metropolitan territory.

On July 1, the project for the renovation of the Gavà-Viladecans Metropolitan Waste Treatment Centre was presented. This plant is amongst those managed by the Área Metropolitana de Barcelona (AMB) as part of its integrated management model.

The plant is operated by TERSA, a publicly owned company in which the Barcelona City Council has a 58% shareholding, while the remaining 42% belongs to the AMB. The facility, which went into operation in 1992, processes packaging waste from selective collection, separating the different materials (PET, coloured HDPE,
natural HDPE, mixed plastics, iron, aluminium, etc.) so that it can subsequently be sent to the relevant recycling facilities, where it is given new life.

AMB RESIDUS

Read More