MSW management business grows 5% in 2017

According to the INFORMA DBK Sectoral Observatory, the total market value for the provision of municipal solid waste treatment and disposal services in Spain stood at €1,480 million at the end of 2017, 4.6% up on the previous year, in a context of growing volumes of treated waste.

80% of total turnover corresponded to companies with a majority of private equity, while public sector companies accounted for the remaining 20%.

Forecasts for the short and medium-term point to a trend of continuing growth, within a context of increasing waste volumes and more stringent recycling and recovery targets. In light of this, total sector turnover is expected to grow by around 3-4% in 2018 and 2019, and reach €1,580 million by the end of this period.

The total number of MSW treatment and disposal plants in Spain, excluding transfer stations, stood at around 360 in 2017, a figure that has declined in recent years owing to the closure of a number of landfills.

Looking to the future, a number of new waste treatment centres are currently under construction, and investment in the upgrading, renovation and extension of existing facilities is also expected.

The MSW treatment and disposal sector is chiefly led by the main private companies operating in the area of environmental services, some of which are associated with construction companies. There is also a significant presence of public sector companies in the sector.

The five leading operators in terms of turnover accounted for 68% of the total value of the market in 2017, while the leading ten companies accounted for 79% of total market revenue.